[Nottingham] [Fwd: O'Reilly UK - User Group Newsletter Issue 07-05]

msemtd msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 10 09:49:56 BST 2005

Good responses - Josette will be pleased!

The process for obtaining a book for review is simple: just choose a tome from
the O'Reilly catalog that captures your imagination - it can be any subject
but I think we should remain in some way relevant to Linux! We should make a
space on the NottLug website for book reviews (already one on NottPM
http://www.tecspy.com/wiki/bookreviews) which ideally should be nicely
formatted (e.g. the Bosnian LUG reviews:
http://www.linux.org.ba/osvrti/index.php?l=2).

Yes, I think it's a good idea to discuss which books we'd like on the mailing
list.  Since I'll be phoning any orders through to Josette, I can avoid any
potential overlap. I half-heartedly propose that the books remain the
property of NottlUG to form a library, but then where would the library
reside and who would manage it? Perhaps the books should remain the property
of the reviewer for their reviewing efforts. The latter would be a damn sight
easier to manage!

So, let me know what you would like; so far we have: -

    1. 802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide, 2nd Ed
(http://wireless.oreilly.com/ http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/802dot112/) for
Penfold (Michael Quaintance)

    2. Something on Mac OS X for Simon Osborne

    3. Something for David Aldred

    4. Knoppix Hacks (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/knoppixhks/) for Me!

Regards,
Michael Erskine

--

One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a cat has
only nine lives.