[Nottingham] Re: Secure deletion of files

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Wed May 25 21:21:52 BST 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:16:24 +0100
Robert Postill <robert at grinning-cat.com> wrote:

> I seem
> to recollect you working for a bank so I suspect they have a standard
> for this, I'd be interested to hear what they have to say on what is
> deemed an acceptable level of deletion.  The only way the truly
> determined will erase the data is by destruction of the physical medium
> (e.g. melting your platters AFTER securely wiping the disk).

I used to work for a firm which did military contract work. Our security
manager once told me that drives which had to be replaced were subjected
to an acid bath, followed by a furnace!  I doubt whether quite such
stringent measures are required for David though, or else he wouldn't have
that information at home in the first place.

--
Dig It : a forum for European Beatles fans - http://beatles.dyndns.org/