[Nottingham] LAN party Sunday

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Oct 8 17:48:51 BST 2005

Michael Erskine wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 10:21, Martin wrote:
>
>>And yes, its open door so people are free and safe to wander in at any
>>time.
>
> And wander out with our kit :)
>
> Seriously: perhaps we should put some thought into physical security.

Its an upstairs room, so a thief would have to be very brazen. There's
only two points of entry/exit so easily guarded. We just ensure someone
not blinded by gaming is always on hand at the "welcome desk".

> I would also like there to be some ground rules laid down regarding LAN
> security including but certainly not limited to no uninvited access to
> people's machines beyond, say, the odd ping - we don't want portscans and
> vulnerability exploits to prove HaX0r skillz on fellow participants' precious
> kit, especially when a lot of this kit usually resides behind protective
> firewalls in comfy safe environments.
>
> The basic tenet is "do as you would be done by" (I don't wanna be "done" by
> some script kiddie!) and the old classic "And it harmest none, do what thou
> wilt" - it is a party after all!

We'll have to do our own policing.

The internet connection is directly out to the 'big bad net'. If someone
can set up a firewall, then very good. Worse case, I could set something
up with shorewall on my fileserver box. I'll see if I can dig up a spare
nic from somewhere.

See you folks there tomorrow (Sunday).

Should be good,

martin at ml1.co.uk