[Nottingham] Buying a Laptop

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Oct 13 14:30:15 BST 2005

Edam wrote:
>>I looking to buy a laptop. Looking at spending 600 to 900 pounds. Does anyone
> We just got a laptop of eBay for £250 (including postage). I can't really
> comment on linux compatability issues, but in terms of price, I recon
> eBay's worth a look for laptops.

The hammering a battery has possibly have taken always puts me off
second hand laptops.

> Ours is an older Asus laptop:
> 	PentiumIII 1GHz
> 	CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
> 	192MB RAM
> 	80GB HDD
> 	802.11g wireless PCMCIA card
> 	TV-out

That's a good spec for 250 notes, I reckon.  You can buy a HP Celeron
1.4GHz with an otherwise similar spec (but a little more) for 386+VAT
online.

The cheapest 'decent' laptop I've seen on my normal second-hand
'wholesale' lines is a P3-450, 128MB RAM, cdrw, which would probably be
sold for about 175.

cheers
-a