[Nottingham] Wireless routers

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:11:11 BST 2005

On 21/10/05, Ashley <ashley.arb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for advice and recomendations regarding wireless routers.
>  It is to be installed in an old three story house (solid walls) and
> needs to be powerful enough to reach all rooms.  I have never used a
> wireless network before.

Ooo, from the way you describe it, it sounds like you might get
reception problems in various parts of the house.

> I am a rather concerned about security.  What security features should
> I look for?

WPA or WPA-PSK, forget WEP.

> What is the best wireless secuity setup that can be used with XP home?
> (not my choice!!!)

Depends what the router will support, and the cards/drivers in the
Windows boxes will support. This is often detailed in the spec on the
back of the box for most wireless kit.

> Can I block access to all but specified mac addresses?

You can, but it's not very secure. WPA is the best of the bad bunch of
wireless security tools built into cards.

You can also setup a secure vpn over the wireless network which would be secure.

Cheers,
Al.