[Nottingham] forums.planetnottslug.org

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 26 15:03:23 BST 2005

On Wednesday 26 October 2005 14:04, Robert Hart wrote:
> > Without looking at the Ubuntu installer I can't really say which hard
> > drive it was installing to. The sure-fire no-brainer way is to disconnect
> > the hard drive you want to preserve.
>
> That may not be such a good idea, as you will then need to manually
> install a boot loader after you have reconnected the hard drive.

Only if the aim is to switch between the two operating systems at boot time.
Let's clear up what is being asked here: if the OP wants a dual boot system
he should read the fine manual prior to going through the install process.
Like you say, it's unlikely that the Debian installer is going to blit
anything without some user confirmation. My recommendation stands but
slightly amended: leave the Windows HDD disconnected during install OR read
the fine manual on how to preserve a dual boot system.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
The worst thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they are sober.
  -- William Butler Yeats