[Nottingham] Connect 3D Radeon 7000 AGP and Five Button Mouse info

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Thu Oct 27 18:43:52 BST 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 18:03 +0100, Robert Hart wrote:

> On the other hand isn't a Radeon7000 series supported by open source
> drivers, and therefore a big win over both nVidia and the more recent
> ATIs?

I think you are right.  Up to and including the Radeon 9200 is supported
by open source drivers including 3d support (which is what I use on my
amd64). Many newer cards beyond that are supported for 2d only.  I
believe 9600 and 9800 3d support is being developed.

The other interesting thing about the open source xorg drivers is that
they are getting EXA support introduced (many already have actually) and
that's interesting for all sorts of 2d desktop eyecandy in the near
future.  Not sure if either the binary only ati or binary only nvidia
drivers will have EXA support or not. (not that any of us can do much
about it if they don't)

--
Martin.