[Nottingham] Connect 3D Radeon 7000 AGP and Five Button Mouse info

Rob Andrews rob at impure.org.uk
Fri Oct 28 12:48:07 BST 2005

On 28-Oct-2005 12:25.22 (BST), Michael Simms wrote:
[utah-glx]
 > and what, its not been auto-ported
 > to the latest X - why is that. Maybe its bacause open source does not
 > ALWAYS work as well as we would all like it to.

No, because it was a sample implementation coordinated between nvidia
and the Utah-GLX project (instigated by Mr. Carmack of id software).

When nvidia stopped wanting to let opensource driver authors develop
drivers for their hardware, interest wained. It didn't support AGP and
the other features that the X team needed to complete a DRI
implementation were not made available.

These days it would only be of use to get 3D out of a Riva TNT card.

My point was: nvidia's drivers suck. ATI's drivers suck. The opensource
drivers have proved to be a lot more stable. I would sooner buy a card
that has opensource driver support because of this.