[Nottingham] Help - printer won't do anything

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 10:03:15 BST 2005

David Aldred wrote:
[---]
> I'd tried power cycling both printer and PC,  but that didn't help.  The
> eventual answer was to unplug the USB lead, remove the printer in MCC, then
> plug it in again.

Good that you got that sorted, even if it shouldn't be necessary. That's
just as esoteric as my printer problems --

On Mandriva 2005LE, the printer is never woken up from sleep mode, and
it refuses to print if turned on after the PC has booted up.

Switching on the printer and then doing a reboot lets the system work
without fail, until the printer next goes into sleep mode :(

Restarting or even reinstalling cups makes no difference.

The printer here is a Samsung ML-1210 laser printer connected to the
parallel printer port.

In Mandrake 9.2, all worked fine as it should!

Any clues on that would be appreciated.

martin at ml1.co.uk