[Nottingham] NTL Nottingham Network Changes (& elsewhere?)

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Apr 6 21:54:59 BST 2006

On Thursday 06 Apr 2006 21:27, Martin wrote:
> 1: Switch off your cable modem and leave it off for a minute;
> 2: Switch it back on and wait for the "sync" and "rdy" lights to stay on
> steady;
> 3: Reboot your Linux box (or Windows box).

Reboot a Linux box?  Heresy :-)

My process (with a local network behind a Linksys router)  was:

1 - Switch off cable modem and leave it off for a minute

2 - log onto the router and tell it to renew its DHCP lease (button at the
bottom of the 'status' page)

3 - errr, that's all!

(I'd started pinging the NTL nameserver at 194.168.8.100 before staring this,
and it started getting responses at this stage).

I'd suggest that on a Linux box connected directly to the cable modem all
that's needed is to restart the network - 'service network restart' should do
it on a Mandriva system, your distro may (and will!) vary!

NTL's recorded message suggested power cycling the cablemodem and rebooting
both the router and the computer, but I really didn't want to re-setup all
the non-default settings on the router!

--
David Aldred