[Nottingham] Short cut to fix screen resolution

Moppett Iain Iain.Moppett at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Dec 8 09:58:35 GMT 2006

Finally I've made it to be a proper 'lugger', with a pure linux box
sitting downstairs for my daughter to use.  Now I can get properly
stuck.

I'm running Edubuntu, and with a bit of jiggery pokery I've got the
screen resolution up to 1280 *1024.  Trouble is, when we play Gcompris
(educational software) the resolution goes back to 800*600 (ish) and
doesn't revert when the application is closed (Unlike Penguin racer
which does).  It seems a bit much to make a 5 year old have to go
through the system-prefs-screen resolution - 1024 menu trail, and I'm
not sure she'll remember ctrl-alt + either (yet).  I've googled and
found various suggestions regarding pointing to Bash scripts etc, but as
a complete novice to scripting I'm not totally sure where to start.  Any
help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Iain