[Nottingham] Tux Magazine - good for new users + #nlug

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 08:51:14 GMT 2006

Hi all,

Firstly, well done to all those who rose to the challenge of "All you can eat"
at the Grand Buffet on Wednesday -- I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I
don't want to ever do that again!

Secondly, the massive lag on the mailing list means that this might not reach
you all for days! I can confirm that the mailman machine at lug,org.uk is
also the web server (the one named "xinit") and it _isn't_ under a massive
CPU load. There's a few nastly looking kernel messages in the ring buffer
(dumped via dmesg(1))...

    Slab corruption: (Not tainted) start=c2c61000, len=4096

    TCP: Treason uncloaked! Peer 209.159.161.211:61701/80 shrinks window
1220835898:1220837358. Repaired.

...oh well, we are assured that the machine will be upgraded at some point in
the future,  which I'm sure will happen -- eventually!

Anyhow, I wanted to tell new and old users alike about Tux Magazine which is
available for download free of charge although one must subscribe (also free
of charge). It's very professional and I have the full back catalogue for
folks to peruse. It is especially useful for those new to Linux and is
written in a friendly tone! Point your web appliances at...

    http://www.tuxmagazine.com

BTW: I updated the mailing list page on the website to point to the #nlug
channel rather than the #notts channel whose topic is set permanently to
"This is NOT the NLUG channel. They're over in #nlug."! Point your IRC
appliances at...

    irc://irc.uk.oftc.net/nlug

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one,
an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.