[Nottingham] YUM mixed arch dependancy grief

Moses O'Hara Moses.O'hara at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Mar 7 14:06:46 GMT 2006

Hi all,

long time no post, hope everyone's well.

I've been running FC4 for a while now on my Turion laptop. installed 64 bit version and installed the 32 bit compat support along side.

When I'm getting round to running updates through yum (yumex), yum throws a wobbler about conflicts and bombs out. no updates taken.

Looking at the output, the conflicting packages seem to be the same i.e foo-3.1.2 conflicts with foo-3.1.2

I suspect that it's caused by the 32bit compatibility support. I thought that 64 bit packages where distinguished with x86_64 appended to the end of the package names allowing for the two arch types to coexist. (can anyone confirm this?)

It seems to be mainly core stuff like glibc that conflicts as opposed to 3rd party apps.

Has anybody else had problems similar. I've had a look around but I can't seem to find anything relevant among the jungle of 'dependancy' related results.

Any ideas folks?