[Nottingham] NLUG Desktop Fix-it Evening - my writeup

pat gadget.pat at ntlworld.com
Tue May 9 23:55:25 BST 2006

Hi everyone,

Can I just start off by saying how much I enjoyed the meet on Thursday.
Looking forward to the next one, work permitting.

I managed to get one of my issues sorted (Qemu install/ setup) before my
keyb was borrowed for the "XP killing any other OS competition in sight"
issue. It looked at first as if it wouldn't be a major issue but XP had
done a good job of screwing things up. Most of the things being done to
cure the issue was going above my head but it was interesting none the
less, especially as all was being shown on the projector - sooo jealous
;-) - almost an "I want one of those..." moment. Anyway, the problem was
sorted, my keyb was returned and all too soon, it was time to go.

I managed to pick up a few tips to help me with general use with the
commandline, I have a version of Qemu that works but not had a chance to
try as yet due to my shifts and was reminded that I need to replace the
present cdrom drive or add a dvd drive so I can use my LFX discs direct
and not through my network. I had bought the pc through Ebuyer and it
came with a normal cdr drive and I always meant to get that sorted but
managed to get round it but now a priority.

Anyway, thanks for the help martin, and for being so patient with me
(while having numerous questions being fired at you while sorting the
Qemu issue) and thanks to everyone else for making the evening so
enjoyable.

As a final note, can I just say that we have very talented and
knowledeable people in the group. It's also a friendly group and I
recomend anyone thinking about going to a meet actually go. After the
first time you go to a meet, you'll wonder what you were worried about.

Thanks again guys.

Anyway, time to sleep,
Pat