[Nottingham] Easy linux network multicast?

Chris Burton Chris at 7of9b.org
Wed May 17 01:43:37 BST 2006

> This is for "Ghosting" multiple machines. I'd rather not have to resort
> to my old copies of 'ghost' and multiple DOS disks for whatever nic is
> used! Trying to keep this 'simple'.

On the non-free front I've used PowerQuest DriveImage Professional (i think
that's what it was called but now swallowed and spat out in the Symantec
world) which allowed you to have a multicast server and attach clients to it
as your going, I had this setup using boot CDs for the clients for each
image and just booted them from the CD to reinstall (tho as you've said
above its a pain in the ass doing this for multiple types of NIC). On the
"free" front, I've used sysresccd (Linux based "Live" CD), which doesn't do
multicast but allows you to pull an image from a samba/nfs/etc share to
restore (I found this ok using it to do a handful of boxen at the same time
restores and standalone restores via CD/DVDs). Other than that there's
Frisbee which uses multicast, but I haven't seen much information about it.

ChrisB/BB.
p.s. please ignore my near 2am semi sober rambles if you please :)