[Nottingham] Hosting + DNS [For Michael]

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 19 10:42:43 BST 2006

On Friday 19 May 2006 10:11, David Bottrill wrote:
> paul at paulmellors.net said:
> > What was the name of that company that deals with your DNS?  I've
> > previously
> > used DYNDNS and am seriously thinking about stopping my hosting with 1
> > and 1
> > [saving me 50 a month] and running my own server again.  Do you use a
> > perl script to update the dns id your NTL ip changes?

No, I update my DNS records manually - my IP has only changed twice. I do use
my server regularly so I'd notice if it dropped off the map. I also have
various cron jobs that move data around - I'd be notified by email if one
failed (BTW: my server doesn't run smtp!)

> I've been using www.noip.com to host my DNS, initially for when I was
> running my domain on my NTL cable connection. They provide a Daemon for
> linux for updating their DNS and importantly it doesn't use HTTP like some
> DYDNS providers. You need to watch this as if the update uses HTTP then
> you will find it will pick up the IP of the NTL webcache rather than your
> server.
>
> I pay extra with NOIP for them to provide a backup MX so they will collect
> email if your server/NTL is down. When they discover your server is back
> online they simply send on the email they have cached for you.

I have all my domain mail go to a huge (free) mailbox elsewhere to deal with
at my leisure.

> It's also worth noting that in the next few weeks as part of NTL's speed
> upgrade that they are increasing outbound bandwidth from 200kbps to 400kbs
> which is a great help if you are running a webserver.

I tend to serve up blogs, text, pictures, etc. at quite a rate but to date I
don't think I've ever had my outgoing bandwidth saturated (although I'm not
sure whether I'd even spot it!)

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Don't smoke the next cigarette.  Repeat.