[Nottingham] Problems compiling - libstdc++

Peter Aldred peter at aldred.org
Mon May 22 23:10:20 BST 2006

On Monday 22 May 2006 18:42, Roger Light wrote:
> On 22/05/06, Peter Aldred <peter at aldred.org> wrote:
> > So I'm assuming it's not an issue with either g++ or libstdc++, and that
> > it's something to do with that version of the amarok configure script,
> > unless it's significant that it comes up with libstdc++.so.6 instead of
> > libstdc++.so.
>
> Check the config.log as it might give you some clues.

Right. I've now dodged the Amarok issue by installing from rpms, but the
errors with compiling seem to be across the board - other apps fail at the
same point.

Here's where it all starts to go wrong (from config.log):

===============
configure:3106: checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C
configure:3176: gcc  -c    conftest.c >&5
configure:3182: $? = 0
configure:3185: test -z 			 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:3188: $? = 0
configure:3191: test -s conftest.o
configure:3194: $? = 0
configure:3212: result: none needed
configure:3230: gcc -c    conftest.c >&5
conftest.c:2: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before
'me'
configure:3236: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #ifndef __cplusplus
|   choke me
| #endif

And there are several references to

error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or directory

But I've checked on a similar system (Mandriva 06) and that also doesn't have
ac_nonexistent.h and compiles fine. This seems to be a reasonably common
problem (searches on google) but no-one yet seems to have found a solution.

Anyone any ideas? Sorry for being a bit useless here, and thanks again!
--
Pete