[Nottingham] What distro?

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Fri May 26 09:04:56 BST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 18:24, Dean Sas wrote:
> Maybe I am :/, I thought that the target user was "very computer
> literate"? I can't fathom that anyone who's very computer literate
> wouldn't want to install apps, and I don't think that using
> gnome-app-install would be an issue. If it is, then I wouldn't recommend
> Ubuntu as there's no cpp compiler in the default install.

Yes, strange requirement, but the OP was quite specific: not being able to do
X, Y, & Z out of the box is not acceptable! You may have noticed that I'm
exaggerating the point to show that it is an unreasonable request: this is
what I do for a living - I get unreasonable requirements from users and I try
to show them that there's a better way. "The road ahead is smooth - why do
you throw rocks in your path?"

> Point taken that this stuff would ideally be there out of the box, but
> for someone computer literate, installing java is a non-problem and on
> Ubuntu is at least as easy as it is on Windows.

Yes, installing/uninstalling on Debian systems is a breath of fresh air!

> The official real deal Sun Java *is* in 6.06s repositories.

Hey! Now there's a move forward. I assume this is part of the sweetener deal
between Mr Shuttleworth and Sun Microsystems.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
Do not sleep in a eucalyptus tree tonight.