[Nottingham] Apache 1.3 + CGI/Perl + suEXEC

Raphael Gangneux nlug at domainarena.net
Thu Oct 5 13:01:14 BST 2006

>> Now as Graeme said I have read that the only way to get that changed
>> is to re-compile the bugger

>Not quite. As long as your new docroot string is not longer than the
current one, you can just change the string in the binary (don't forget the
>trainling \0).
>It works, but it's also a "quick fix", with all that entails though
(including, but not limited to, mysteriously breaking CGI scripts after the
next
>apache upgrade).

Thanks Jo,
I carried on reading up on this and found some interesting suggestions
however they all require a fair amount of work (which is fair enough i
suppose ;-) ) with no real guarantee that things aren't gonna break. Your
suggestion seems pretty simple indeed. I actually managed to fix it by
opting for the 'logical' solution: I moved the site in question to the
suexec docroot and updated the vhost file to reflect that! :-)
It all works fine now.
I will keep your posts for future reference. Thanks again.

Regards,

Raph