[Nottingham] Social Tomorrow Weds 07/02/2007 - Red Hot Buffet Shack

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 18:21:58 GMT 2007

Roger Light wrote:
[---]

> Well that was a good night. Some things to follow up:
>
> Kernel 2.6.20 details are at http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_20
> including the new virtualisation bits, fault injection into the kernel
> and udp-lite support.
>
> Josh was correct - google mail does support smtp, details are at
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287
>
> I'm sure there were other things that I wanted to mention, ...

Other subjects I noted were:

Key signing (thanks for your email Roger) and "trusted groups".

Clobbering the disk label and primary partition table of a usb (scsi)
HDD with "badblocks -w /dev/sda" and thence the ensuing non-operable
problems (use GParted to write a MSDOS disk label to fix!). I'm checking
further with "badblocks -w /dev/sda1" but had spontaneous USB I/O errors
with the external HDD... So?

ASUS BIOS fun! An M2V motherboard with an old manufacturer's BIOS
insisted on loading a new M2V.ROM image from the FDD despite the file
being on a usb flashdrive! Fix: Update (type ALT-F2 during POST) the
BIOS from a FDD... You must update the BIOS to get Linux (or Windoze) to
run...

Hands-on Windows Vista experiences and comments. DRM and hardware
dongling...

And various other ramblings and fun.

martin at ml1.co.uk