[Nottingham] file encryption.

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Thu Jan 4 13:13:16 GMT 2007

On 21/08/06, Martin Garton <martin at stupids.org> wrote:

> At a recent LUG meet there was some discussion about file encryption.
> crypto loop was mentioned as well as dm-crypt both for use at the block
> level. Also, gpg and similar for encrypting individual files was
> discussed.
>
> I just wanted to add http://ecryptfs.sourceforge.net/ to the discussion.
>
> It is a stacked filesystem, and will encrypt files (one by one) to an
> underlying filesystem.  Of course, you can then do things like back up
> the underlying encrypted files to another (potentially untrusted)
> machine.  This has the advantages of individual file encryption (which I
> believe some folks said they were looking for) in a pretty painless way.
>
> It's not in the current vanilla kernel AFAIK, but I think its in -mm so
> should be in vanilla at some point.  2.6.19 maybe.

Hi,

Martin wrote this email ages ago - hopefully you'll forgive me quoting
the whole lot as it has been a while since the original.

I've been thinking about saving backups to potentially untrusted
machines recently so was reminded of it. Anyway, I wanted to mention
that ecryptfs is in fact in 2.6.19 so it should be quite easy for most
people to have a play with.

Cheers,

Roger