[Nottingham] TALK: Relational databases, SQL and PostgreSQL.

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Sat Jan 13 08:11:05 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 17:50 +0000, David Aldred wrote:
> I'm possibly out of the depth I need to be in on this, but can you say in what
> circumstances these issues actually matter?
>
> For example, a website where inidivdual items of data is updated via a browser
> (using forms passing input to a MYSQL table) for display to the public - such
> as news items and forthcoming events.  Would concepts such as normalisation
> be relevant, and if so what would they contribute?

Sorry I can't make Thursday, and I don't want to preempt Martin's talk,
but normalisation is the removing of repeated information from one table
into a separate table and replacing it with a link. There is a trade-off
between a completely normalised database and speed of retrieval.
..And at that point I shut up for fear of treading on Martin's
presentation!

Greetings to all

--
Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk>