[Nottingham] Eager Queues and GNU Hurd.

Jason Cozens jason.cozens at computer.org
Mon Jan 22 20:34:47 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 20:35 +0000, Martin wrote:

> > Firstly the idea would be to have scheduling on a private network
> > reserved exclusively for scheduling. To test this I'd like to get
> > some computers, put in an extra network card and write the scheduling
> > software.
>
> OK, so all the more reason for a LAN party soon! There's also such as
> Josh whom could perhaps test out an entire lab of PCs...?
>
> Or would a group on NTL or some other ISP work well enough?
>
> Checking diary and events: LAN Party Sunday 18th Feb. Who's interested?
>
> (I'll have a few bits'n'pieces to show off by then also.)

What time do these events happen?

> > The channel is very noisy so that processors can join quickly.
> [---]
> > Although there are a lot of broadcasts there won't be too many
> > collisions. The purpose of continually broadcasting the state of
> > the scheduling is that every scheduling processor knows which
> > processor is expected to broadcast next. This not only avoids
> > collisions but helps to isolate faulty processors.
>
> OK, a sort of round-robin roll-call.
[...]
Can I come back to this?

> [---]
> > I'd like to give a talk on this. It would be best if it was towards the
> > end of Feb or beginning of March as I'd like to flesh the ideas out a
> > bit more and maybe get some code written.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Jason.
>
> I'm certainly very interested in this.
>
> We have next:
> Beeston Beers;
> Foodie Social;
> LAN Party?;
> LaTeX pt2;
> Foodie Social;
> GStreamer or Eager Queues.
>
> Or we add an extra talk into March to make up for the short February?

Can I confirm a date in a week or two?

> > PS: Does anyone know a good reference on C and UDP?
> > I've only used UDP with C# so far and don't think a managed environment
> > is what I need here.
>
> Anyone?

I've found a few references on this but I'm having problems getting the
datagrams to go where I want.

BSD Sockets Programming from a Multi-Language Perspective.
M Tim Jones.

Sockets, Shellcode, Porting & Coding: Reverse Engineering Exploits
and Tool Coding for Security Professionals.
Foster & Price.

My SourceForge project has been approved:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eqp/

So I'll start posting some code there.