[Nottingham] Few bits

Benjamin McLaughlin benjaminbunnyrabbit at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 4 12:53:40 BST 2007

Hi, only me
Iain, I have an interesting solution for you. If you bring the PC into my
cafe, network boot it on to the edubuntu installation which I run on all my
machines.

If it breaks, its your hardware, if it doesnt, its your software.
Only a suggestion though.

I am based at

The Digital Cabin
Regent Mills
Regent Street
Long Eaton
Nottingham
NG10 1JX

Between the chemist and the bike shop, above the cake shop.

Then onto Martins post, I did think about the LTSP+Mosix option but it
seemed like too much hacking around with things I have no idea about. I have
it on a quad core machine now anyway so any more power would be pointless.

The only problems I really have now is that I still cannot get local storage
to work (USB pen on the machine.
The sound coming out of the machine cannot be controlled. (interesting one)
Its at high volume coming out of the built in speaker all the time.
The graphics cards in the thin clients are not installed thus VERY slow
flash and games not possible.
i810 cards are automatically supported by ltsp but I have i815 onboard.
(argh)

Other than that, all sorted. Just need to get people coming in now :(

If anybody wants to come and play for a night though they are more than
welcome. I have a second hard drive in the server so playing about is a
definate possibility.

Speak to you all soon,
Ben