[Nottingham] BBC iPlayer petition

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Thu Jul 5 15:55:00 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:31 +0100, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 13:41 +0100, Martin Garton wrote:
> > How, in an open source implementation that can easily be changed, are
> > you going to prevent the attacker simply changing the software to save
> > the decrypted content rather than displaying it?
>
> Exactly - just as you can't stop anyone taking the
> digital info from the monitor lead, never mind
> cracking the DRM itself (cf DVD CSS; HD-DVD; etc.).
> The point is that neither does more than act as an
> obstruction to honest people wishing to view their
> paid-for content on other devices, while doing little
> to stop unauthorised copying for (illegal) commercial
> gain.

Some people never give up though. That's why we have systems where the
data remains encrypted until after it reaches the monitor ("but SURELY
that MUST be impossible to crack?")  Sigh....

As well as inconveniencing some honest people, it simply displaces
others towards file sharing networks which so far are one of the best
providers of useful content, which is unfortunate.

By the way, did everyone else read that windows vista DRM can be
bypassed using virtualisation?

--
Martin.