[Nottingham] MySQL 5.1 behavioural issues re: socket/pid file.

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Mar 4 10:58:38 GMT 2007

Hi,

I've inherited an application built around MySQL 5.1.  5.0 is the
newest that I have used in production, so yesterday I decided to play
with some of the new features.  I didn't get very far !

I installed 5.1.16 from the binaries on the MySQL website.

When starting MySQL, it created the ibdata files, and the error log,
but does not create the pid or socket file.  It isn't permissions, as
the error file (which holds no clues, it just says mysql started..)
and ibdata files are created to my exact specifications.

The default was to create the socket file in /tmp and the pid file in
the data dir.  I changed the socket file location to /usr/local/
mysql, and restarted.  The change to the path *was* picked up by
MySQL (can see it in ps), so it is definitely reading my.cnf.

mysql    12607  0.3 14.2  42284 18492 pts/0    S    10:58   0:00 /usr/
local/mysql/bin/mysqld --basedir=/usr/local/mysql --datadir=/usr/
local/mysql/data --user=mysql --pid-file=/usr/local/mysql/data/
rabbit.pid --log-error=/usr/local/mysql/data/rabbit.err --socket=/usr/
local/mysql/mysql.sock --port=3306

mysqld starts, but without a socket, you can't connect.

Any ideas ?