[Nottingham] MySQL 5.1 behavioural issues re: socket/pid file.

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sun Mar 4 20:21:04 GMT 2007

On 4 Mar 2007, at 19:10, Michael Erskine (at home!) wrote:

> Andy Davidson wrote:
>> mysqld starts, but without a socket, you can't connect.
> Some distros have mysql only listen on the local interface: if this
> is your problem you can fix it in my.cnf (in /etc/mysql on some
> distros or /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf for multi-server installs) I can't
> remember the syntax without looking at the manpage. Are you on a
> Debian derivative?

It didn't bind to a network socket, or local socket, despite being
configured to do both (I know all about skip-networking and bind-
address, have been looking after boxes running this software since
'01).  I gave up and just installed 5.0, which works as described
using the same my.cnf.  Hope I can test the application which is
built against 5.1 with it.

Worth noting that the only thing which was unusual was that the
environment was a Xen guest.

cheers
-a