[Nottingham] FLASH vs HDD

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 1 00:01:38 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 13:25:05 Camilo Mesias wrote:
> > > And what is the best fs for flash?
> >
> > JFFS - there's limited write cycles to flash devices - try to avoid
> > destroying the device!
>
> Only if it's really a flash device (eg. /dev/mtd0). Flash usb drives
> already run wear levelling / error correction and emulate a block
> device on top of that - so FS designed for true flash are usually not
> appropriate.

Yeah, you'd think so wouldn't  you? However, the many flash devices we use in
production generally have buggy drivers (e.g. TrueFFS on DiskOnChip2000
devices). The best way to use flash devices is use them for your readonly
filesystems and mount variable partitions e.g. /var, /tmp, etc. as ramdrives.

Michael.

--
nolo contendere:
	A legal term meaning: "I didn't do it, judge, and I'll never do