[Nottingham] Cheap webcams in Linux

Alex Walker alex at x3ja.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 19:18:32 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm just looking for some advice.  I've nowbeen switched over to Ubuntu at
home (I do love the new compiz fancy effects in gutsy) for about 6 months
and pretty much the only thing I don't have working that I used to have in
Windows is the webcam.  Now, I was in contact with the writer of the driver
for my webcam a couple of years ago, but we only just about managed to make
it splurge one distorted image out before it crashed and had to unload the
module... anyway, you don't really need to know that.

Has anyone got an recommendations for a webcam under Linux.  Criteria are -
cheap, use for some basic video calls to family, cheap and works easily.

Maybe I'll send the old one to the driver writer in case he wants to make
it work for the other 1 person in the world who has a ZoomCam III 1598 :)

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers
Alex