[Nottingham] Next Navigation Talk (21st Aug) Cancelled

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 15:08:37 UTC 2008

Roger Light wrote:
[---]
> This does make me think of icecream (not the cold stuff!), which
[---]

... Just so as to not leave the odd post unanswered...

I'm always amused by the ingenuity for the various name making and
acronyms for whatever obscure humour that can be found throughout the
open source world and in computer science and throughout academia in
general. (Marketing gobble-de-gook doesn't count!)

Then again, although the humour can be very good, it can make the naming
impenetrably obscure unless you _already_ know what it is... I agree
with comments from an NLUG meeting a while ago that all of open source
needs to include lay-person understandable descriptions regardless of
the geek factor.

We have open source. We should also have open information.

Banish all obscurity!!!

martin at ml1.co.uk