[Nottingham] Perl

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 7 09:12:28 GMT 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008 12:44:21 Joshua Lock wrote:
> I know this question gets asked every so often and I'm certain I've
> asked it before (but several years ago); I'm looking to learn Perl.
About time! :)

> I'll probably use a small web project I am planning as a starting
> point because I learn better by applying the stuff I'm learning.

Hmmm, I'd start with text processing, webscraping and automation first. CGI is
a massive subject and not in any way Perl specific. However...

> Can anyone recommend:
> * Web resources (tutorials and documentation)
> * Toolkits (for web development)
> * Books (perhaps to be lent to me at the next meeting :)

The Camel book is all you need really - it's a damn good read. Follow that up
with the Perl Cookbook (I can lend you both when I get them back :) ) for
examples. Avoid getting tied into any specific web framework: learn the CGI
module and the various merits of web frameworks become clear. Just my 2p.

> Speaking of meetings, what and when is the next?

The next meeting will quite possibly be entitled "Teaching Josh Perl" and will
be... erm, soon!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

--
BOFH excuse #295:

The Token fell out of the ring. Call us when you find it.