[Nottingham] My fedora 9 experience (vent/rant included)

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Thu Jul 10 17:20:40 BST 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, "Michael Simms" <michael at tuxgames.com> wrote:
<a long and stressed-out rant>

I'm writing this on my F9 box at work. I've been using Fedora since,
well, Redhat 5 :) and stick with it because it's the devil I know.

It strikes me that a huge number of the rant points you made are down
to the use of SELinux. You have to understand that SELinux is designed
around a relatively inflexible template driven set of policies. If you
want to stick with it, changes to the system - such as, ooh, adding a
user - will be difficult (at best) or impossible (at best, depending
on your point of view!). It really, really isn't designed for
fast-moving systems like desktop boxes where the users want to fiddle
all the time, as James already pointed out.

Some of the other points come down to inexperience. Yes, yum could be
described as a poor man's apt, but if you don't understand how it
works then how can you work with it? I've been frustrated in equal
measure by Debian and the many clones of it in the past *because I
don't understand them fully*. I don't post about how crap they are (I
don't think that), I just go back to what I know and like.

Yum should absolutely not open up services you have deleted. If it is
doing, then there's a bug or you're doing things in a non-RH way (ie.
trying to do Debian/Ubuntu-isms on a RH derivative). Again, I've been
caught by this on alternative distributions in the past but I have
tried to learn what the "right way" is for that distro. What services
has it opened up, and how have you disabled them?

Interface aliases were deprecated - yes, they were - a long time ago
in favour of the arcane but powerful iproute2 toolkit. That's probably
why you can no longer bind to an alias. I guess you now probably have
to state the IP address in dhcpd.conf instead of the device alias.

Printing via Samba has worked here from day 1. Although I still hate CUPS ;-)

SMB access via \\netbios-name\share\directory works for me.

The Apache config is following a recommended best practice from the
developers to split out functions into different files - it makes
managing the config easier, a bit like Debian do with Exim for example.

NetworkManager can be removed, although it's the "new way" I still
don't like it. But then I have to manage servers too.

I could go on, but I won't. However the first time I try a newer
Ubuntu release, I'll post my findings shall I? Could be an interesting
comparison.

If I were you I'd go for a run, shower, go to the pub and go back to
it tomorrow. And turn off SELinux. It's a PITA and probably more
trouble than it's worth in your situation.

Graeme