[Nottingham] Linux webcam?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 10:30:23 BST 2008

Duncan Fyfe wrote:
[---]
> Do you have a digital camera ?  Some will also act as a video camera and
> some of those allow you to stream the video down a USB cable to a
> computer.

Yes, but not one that supports that mode :-(

That is a good option to look at. Anyone done that?

> Erm... what are you wanting to use this for anyway ? Why the
> (comparatively) high spatial resolution but low frequency ?

I want to experiment to see if it can be reliably used to monitor some
instrument dials and blinking lights. A £10 webcam is a LOT cheaper than
a proprietary monitoring box... And quicker to set up than interfacing
via my Arduino board!

I also want to experiment using it /as/ an instrument as a water level
indicator.

> As an aside - if you are using firefox (iceweasel) then you will
> probably want to set FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" in your firefoxrc too.
> If firefox (or mozilla) with flash extensions is using OSS then you will
> find random web sites nobble access to your sound card from other
> applications.

Very good tip, thanks. That's worth announcing as a new thread.

martin at ml1.co.uk