[Nottingham] A few problems with my computer

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Fri May 2 11:38:29 BST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm having a few problems with my computer, and I'm hoping someone will be
> able to help me.
>
> 1) The date is not being remembered when I start the computer.
>
> 2) I get the following message when the computer first boots up:-
> CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
>
> 3) When the partitions are being mounted I get the following message:-
> Superblock last mount time is in the future. FIXED
>
> I'm using Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks for any help

Hi Ron,

Sounds like your motherboard battery is out. This is resulting in your
BIOS settings and the computer clock not being saved when you power
off - a likely cause for all of the problems above,  especially when
in tandem.

They're quite easy to replace (i.e.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81) but should you be less than
comfortable inside the case of your computer most (all?) computer
shops should be able to help you out at very little cost.

Hope that helps

--
Joshua Lock
incandescant at gmail.com