[Nottingham] [Social] Wed 01/10/2008 Sinatra food 'n' beers meet

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Oct 7 22:04:45 UTC 2008

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Another "somewhere long not visited" since the days of Awareness Days
> and Info-Points and before certain NLUGers discovered the various
> oriental Buffets places...
>

> Wednesday 01/10/2008
>

> Food 'n' Beers with the food bit at:
>
> Sinatra's Restaurant

Well, a good do even though there were various rebellious ideas from a
certain (hungry) few about raiding a kebab shop nearby or for raiding
the all-night supermarket for an ice-cream binge in Market Square...
Good food even if not plentiful enough for some.

And the Bell Inn has been spruced up a little since last I was in there.
The prices have been hiked a long way up also!

So... We moved over the good old Roebuck for further beers. The beer
option also overcame the ice-cream in the fountains threat!

One of the new (Microsoft loaded!) Asus Eeee PCs was nicely shown off as
part of a test to see how long its batteries might last. It did get a
little Matrix-esq with a certain slimline lady in black at the bar also
demonstrating surfing with a black Eeee...

Michael's very strange WiFi setup was discussed along with various
flamboyant wired alternatives were considered. Unless linux is used,
looks like there's a bit of a problem surrounding multiple default
routes and multiple DHCP causing confusion when a more simple topology
is assumed by certain consumer devices. (A multi-nic linux box and a
single "route" command would do instead...)

And the beer must have been good 'cos I can't remember anything much
beyond that. LaTeX got mentioned for something somewhere...

(And my VIA C3 is still languishing with boot problems but that wasn't
mentioned either.)

I'll let the others fill in!

Next noshes suggested are:

City Buffet (Eat all you can)

Fat Cats (Cheap-ish reasonable eating)

Next talk is being lined up if I get a certain (positive) email back,
although there might be a problem of a subterranean explosive clash there...

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk