[Nottingham] [Social] Wed 03/09/2008 Maysum Buffet food 'n' beers meet

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Sep 4 12:34:25 UTC 2008

Martin wrote:
[---]
>> The Maysum Buffet Restaurant:
[---]
> Bit of info on this at
> http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/foodanddrink/Food-Drink-choice-world-Chinese-buffet/article-275128-detail/article.html
[---]
>> and beers at Lantry's:
[---]
>> http://www.greatbeer.co.uk/notla.htm
>> http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?gride=457200&gridn=340100&scale=50000&titleThe+Langtry&cat=pub
[---]
>> All with various fun stories of my C3 hackings, overly complex and flaky
>> computing whinges, and no doubt lots more from everyone else.

Phew!

All rather good stuff. I think the big note for the night is that a
certain two on the table finished off the ice cream machine that left me
with only a very healthy ice-cream-less option for dessert! Good
selection of good food and nicely less noisy than various other oriental
buffets.

There was much discussion of bookshelves and L-space and various
topologies for 17+ of the things all crammed into a rather highly
utilised confined volume. Space for the door seems to have been a slight
oversight. There is also a conundrum of a cyclic clash between a pair of
other bits...

BT indifference and marketing string-along and string-up continues
into... How long?! (No surprise but still surprisingly bad.) There's an
excuse about them upgrading equipment in a telephone exchange and so all
new installations for broadband stop for a surprisingly long time...

For a rather different area, looks like the best high-tech connection
possible is fax and/or dial-up! Satellite and leased lines are rather
too expensive, but then again the ADSL ain't working... Snail-mail
CDs?... Or even IPoAC/RFC1149,RFC2549?

Michael-E appeared out of the rain storm to wow us all with a 7x7 Rubik
Cube! He also had the old 3x3 and 4x4 versions and some oddballs that
are far too easy... Just wait for the 11x11 version... Any virtual
versions in SecondLife?...

Sounds like the D&D-subgroup are maxed out for their next adventure.

The C3 was mentioned briefly (thanks Michael for the rescue). We timed
out before the computering whinges.

We also considered how best to resurrect the NLUG website.

And then we staggered off for the last beer. One of the group was
looking almost 10 months pregnant for the style of stagger!

Next meal is in the much more restrained Sinatra's.

Next talk is Dr Dick Nickalls on Thursday 18/09/2008.

Cheers All,

martin at ml1.co.uk