[Nottingham] "tivoization", iPhone, and GPLv3 lockout?

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 18:37:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 04 Sep 2008, Martin wrote:
> Or might we yet be saved by the Eee-esq minimalist proprietary hardware
> that is too minimalist for the proprietary software?

Could be, but I think a lot depends on how the minimalist proprietary hardware
makers implement the non-proprietary software!

I've recently gone for an Acer Aspire One; the Acer-modified Linpus Linux
setup is (at first sight) locked down to make the experience of a Linux
netbook very restrictive for the newbie user who's never touched Linux
before.   A couple of easy changes and you've got a proper desktop (though I
must say that  practically I don't mind the Acer standard desktop in its
place; on starting up a machine that size big chunky icons have the advantage
of being easy to find!)

For the non-Linux savvy, though, the appeal of a familiar and flexible Windows
interface is a tempting one, and the user forum indicates that many succumb!
If the thing came with Ubuntu already there I think it would be a different
story.  Some had even changed over to Windows and accepted a pretty horrible
speed hit (due to issues with Windows driving the SSD storage).   A bad or
limited Linux implementation doesn't win any friends.

======

However even for the Linux-savvy, the story doesn't end there: the thing
rewrites its /etc/hosts and /etc/fstab on every boot using a fairly
impenetrable script (well, I haven't penetrated it yet, but I haven't tried
awfully hard yet!), and responds to any slight error in the xml file which
drives its 'standard' desktop by wiping the user version and restoring the
original - so adding an icon may lose you any changes you've already
successfully made.  Of course, after the first time, you back up the changed
version, but the first time is annoying!

And then there is the vexed question of updates.  I may well work out how to
make /etc/hosts stick; but the next update from Acer will probably cause
reversion to Acer-standard behaviour.

(On the other hand, the way it has a second SD card slot which automagically
adds the space on an inserted SD card to /home, and with a sensible system to
allow you to upsize that SD card at a later stage without losing stuff, is an
clever thinking about the uses of his sort of device).

I can feel a mini-Sidux installation coming on.   Not just yet, perhaps - but
I don't think it will be too long before Acer-Linpus annoys me enough to be
gone, despite one or two useful features......

--
David Aldred