[Nottingham] multi-terabyte raid arrays

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Thu Sep 11 15:16:02 UTC 2008

Anyone got any experience with these?

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10950

It's a "LACIE BIGGEST QUADRA" 4TB RAID drive, advertised as
compatible with Macs and Windows - but I'm hoping that it
should work OK with Linux (I'd use the Firewire connection).
It's described as "plug & play and driver-free" so I'm
assuming I can set it up as RAID5 then put ext3 or reiserfs
on it, but feel free to correct me if you know better, as it
would be an expensive mistake :D

Anyone using a similar product with Linux? I'm particularly
looking for something I can directly attach rather than the
ubiquitous network storage appliance.

Cheers
James