[Nottingham] Linux webcam? (Martin, Jim)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 10:52:00 UTC 2008

john doe wrote:

> ... Jim, encouraged by your assurance the Panther webcams do work in GNU/Linux, I purchased one for use in Mandriva.  Sadly I cannot get it to work. ...
>
> Output from lsusb:
>
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0c45:613c Microdia
[---]
> usb 3-2: SN9C120 PC Camera Controller detected (vid:pid 0x0C45:0x613C)
> usb 3-2: HV7131R image sensor detected
> usb 3-2: Initialization succeeded
> usb 3-2: V4L2 device registered as /dev/video1
> usb 3-2: Optional device control through 'sysfs' interface disabled
>
> Kernel version:
>
> 2.6.24.7-desktop-1.uc2mnb
>
> Was there anything you needed to do in order for the cam to work?  If you (or anyone else) need any further info please let me know.

Well, I got the 4Mpixel Panther and similarly, my current version of
Mandriva doesn't do anything with it :-(

I've put it to one side for the moment whilst I play with the latest
Mandriva on the 2.6.27 (!) kernel.

Looking in the change logs, there's improved support in there for USB
and Webcams so I'm hoping its already been 'fixed'.

Try?

http://www.64bitjungle.com/tech/microdia-webcam-0c54-experimental-drivers-installation-and-testing-part-1/

http://groups.google.com/group/microdia

There is also gspca for v4l (v1):
http://lwn.net/Articles/291036/

as a start.

I'll be looking further but not this moment.

Unless... Jim?

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk