[Nottingham] Linux webcam? (Martin, Jim)

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 08:31:32 UTC 2008

Martin wrote:
> john doe wrote:
>
>> ... Jim, encouraged by your assurance the Panther webcams do work in GNU/Linux, I purchased one for use in Mandriva.  Sadly I cannot get it to work. ...

....<snippage for brevity>

The weird thing is, I'm getting the same messages on the then-current
(as of November 2007) Beta release of Mandriva/ZM (with hte latest
kernel release from then too), and the camera is functioning through
bus1 device0 on the ZM console*... which, admittedly, was a learning
process through ten minutes of trial and error having then just learned
about ZM and its apparent abilities as a DVR. What the rather thin
manual doesn't tell you is that you need a processor with HUGE amounts
of L2 cache (like a mobile P4 or a Core2 Duo) and stupid amounts of
memory otherwise the whole bag locks up tighter than a Rabbi's wallet
the minute you start adding cameras... evidently the Apache webserver
which drives the whole thing has a pretty serious memory leakage problem.

*Back to the important bit - the only thing I had to configure after
plugging in the camera and locating it on the hardware resources, was
the capture resolution on the ZM console. Which struck me as a bit odd,
really. The AMCAP interface, after all, defaults to 640x480 just to get
a picture on the application; what you do to the image after that is up
to you. Without setting the resolution on ZM you end up with a single
scaled pixel filling the monitor panel changing colour according to
what's in front of it like a bugs eye.

Cheers,

TLP