[Nottingham] Firefox becomes an Iceweasel & abrowser!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 18:51:16 UTC 2008

Folks,

Long time no flame-fest, so just to fuel the fire a little, there is an
interesting current skirmish in full flow over on the Ubuntu forums
about ruffled fur for the Mozilla Firefox web browser:

####
AN IRRELEVANT LICENSE IS PRESENTED TO YOU FREE-OF-CHARGE ON STARTUP

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/269656

Binary package hint: firefox-3.0

STARTING UP A CERTAIN 3.0.2 VERSION OF FIREFOX BROWSER MAKES AVAILABLE
TO YOU A VERY CAPITAL END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT. THIS AGREEMENT IS
OBNOXIOUS and largely irrelevant to Ubuntu users.

The license refers to installation and closed-source parts which ARE
COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT TO UBUNTU USERS.

THE LICENSE PAGE ALSO DOES NOT PREVENT ME FROM USING THE BROWSER WITHOUT
AGREEING TO IT.

It [also] deserves *capital punishment DUE TO EXCESSIVE USE OF CAPS*

Come on Mozilla. This is just stupid.
####

The three main excerpts out of a looong (and fast growing) thread must be:

####

[...]