[Nottingham] Firefox becomes an Iceweasel & abrowser!

Michael Erskine msemtd at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 17 10:24:51 UTC 2008

> Now then: is anyone in here close enough to the coding of individual
> browsers to clarify this?   I asked my Bank some time ago why they accepted
> Safari but not Konqueror, and was told that while they use the same
> rendering engine, the way they handle cached data varies, and it was the
> security of the cached data (or to be more precise the fact that certain
> data was *not* cached under Safari but was under Konqueror) which led to
> their having Safari on the whitelist but not Konqueror.

Well, the rendering engine for Safari is WebKit, whereas the rendering
engine for Konqueror is KHTML and whilst WebKit is based on KHTML they
are not the same. The more important part is that rendering alone
maketh not browser: the handling of protocols (HTTPS, certs, etc.),
the handling of JavaScript, the handling of cookies, etc. are rather
more important differences when it comes to rich web client
interfaces. It comes down to standards and the interpretation thereof.

Regards,
Michael Erskine.