[Nottingham] Router/Firewall question

Michael Simms michael at linuxgamepublishing.com
Mon Sep 22 14:37:17 UTC 2008

Greetings all,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced firewall router that can do the
following:

route between 2 networks (obviously)
Firewall packets based on destination portnumber
Add static routes
By default lets everything through.

Every firewall I look at is always an 'ADSL firewall' or 'cablemodem
firewall', which by default blocks everything.

In case anyone has any brighter ideas, the situation I have is this:

2 networks, 2 DHCP servers, 2 networks need to be able to talk to each
other, 2 DHCP servers should not be allowed to send to each others
networks. As so:

 +-------------------+                               +-----------------+
 |   10.1.*.*        |                               |   10.2.*.*      |
 |   Network One     |----WIFI1~~~~~~~~~~~~~WIFI2----|   Network Two   |
 |   with DHCP       |                               |   with DHCP     |
 +-------------------+                               +-----------------+
          |                                                   |
          |                                                   |
         \|/                                                 \|/
       Internet                                            Internet

Plan being to insert the firewall router between Network 1 and WIFI 1. I
know I can add in MAC numbers into the DHCP.conf but that REALLY defeats
the object of DHCP where I want to be able to plug random machines into
the network and have them 'just work'

The big problem is that when a machine is plugged into network 1, it can
pick up the DHCP from network 2, and so then start using network2 as its
internet connection. This is bad.

I could just plug in a linux box with 2 NICs and have it do the job but
really, a whole machine is a LOT of overkill for a job that any decent
firewall should be able to do.

--
Michael Simms - CEO Linux Game Publishing LTD
http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com