[Nottingham] SSHFS in windows?

Danny King dannyking at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 16:49:36 UTC 2008

Hello,

Firstly, let me apologise for having yet another "I'm going to uni,
help me with my setup!" post.

<rant follows: ignorable>
Apparently my future network overlords have no problem with me taking
more than one computer, as long as only one computer is connected to
the wall... They have some sort of crazy system that records the MAC
of your network card (I assume) every time you plug a computer into
their network socket (in my room). If that MAC changes (i.e. you plug
in another computer) it'll ban you from accessing the network! If you
use a hub (and more than one MAC is recorded) it'll ban you too. A
friend who's been attending the uni for a year said he thinks they'd
find out pretty quickly (and ban me) if I use a router to hide behind
so naturally I don't want to do that. Luckily they don't seem to mind
how many computers are connected via a WIFI connection to their
network, so I'll be buying a few WIFI cards and that will let me keep
my current setup of a file server, main work station and a laptop.
</rant>

Since I can't use a router to hide my samba/windows shares behind the
obvious answer to sharing my files between my computers is SSHFS
(that'd be secure over a public wifi network, right?). Problem is, I
run Vista a lot on my laptop and I really like having a mounted
network drive that acts as a normal local drive (I use nfs currently).
Does anyone know of a way to mount a SSHFS network drive in Windows?

Thanks!
- Danny King of Gleaming Pixel Web Design.

Email: danny at gleamingpixel.co.uk / dannyking at gmail.com
Web: www.GleamingPixel.co.uk