[Nottingham] SSHFS in windows?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 17:26:45 UTC 2008

Peter Chang wrote:
> Danny,
>
> [...]
>> friend who's been attending the uni for a year said he thinks they'd
>> find out pretty quickly (and ban me) if I use a router to hide behind
>> so naturally I don't want to do that.
>
> Sorry, how do they tell that you have a router hooked up to their network
> if it does NAPT?

I agree. You should be able to use any router or WiFi-router and plug
the "WAN" connection into the wall and use NAT from your own local
network. The router also provides your DHCP. The Uni network will only
see the MAC of the router WAN port... Make sure you don't use the same
subnet range if they use a private subnet address range.

Note: The description "router" (and NOT a "switch" which would propagate
your MACs), often called a "Broadband Router", there's no integral modem.

I could well imagine a lot of contention for WiFi airspace in a student
hall!

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk