[Nottingham] Router/Firewall question

Jim Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:56:46 UTC 2008

Camilo Mesias wrote:
> There's something iffy about the setup but I can't put my finger on it.
>
> If there are two separate networks then surely the DHCP broadcasts
> should be limited to the scope of the networks and shouldn't be routed
> through to another network.

Not sure of the ins and outs of it, but my setup didn't suffer
cross-subnet DHCP talk. Though machines on one subnet could "see" and
communicate with machines on the other, and even log in to the console
on the other router (before I set the routers to reject anything not
within their own DHCP subnets re console operations). Having just tested
the Netgear and the Busybox in two different configurations*, this
appears to be a design feature.

*configuration 1: single WAN, second router (Netgear) slaved to primary
via secondary's WAN port.
configuration 2: dual WAN, LAN-to-LAN cross connection.