[Nottingham] Read-only prefix command or command wrapper

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 21:27:16 UTC 2008

Roger Light wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 02:01:08PM +0100, Chris Burton wrote:
>>> rofs is a read only fuse filesystem from
>>> http://mattwork.potsdam.edu/projects/wiki/index.php/Rofs
>> You could also bind mount it ro (not sure what version of kernel you need to
>> support ro though).
>
> Oh, good point. I *cough* forgot *cough* that we've got ro bind
> mounts now :) That's been available since 2.6.26:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_26

That's two good options from the fs side of things. A third is by
creating a restricted user.

Another way I suppose is to get the source of your 'dangerous'
application and strip out the "save" and "save-as" functions. Perhaps
also seek out all the file operations to explicitly include a
"read-only" option.

OK... An alternative question follows... (Next thread)

Thanks,

martin at ml1.co.uk