[Nottingham] Nottingham Digest, Vol 289, Issue 3

ForkBombFluf fluf at freeshell.org
Mon Apr 20 11:58:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Michael Erskine wrote:

> 2009/4/19 tony atkins <tony_atkins at hotmail.com>:
>> but the nottingham linux users group is?
>> yawn yawn - where shall we meet for munchies? -  surely time for something
>> new
>> oh no - we are quite cozy doing nothing
>> posting nonsense about nonsense
>> yawn
>> yawn
>
> Hmm...
>
> Let's put this down to an incorrect dose of medication. Not that it
> doesn't raise some thoughts about the role of the group (both actual
> and perceived): it is widely discussed at the meetings. Linux is
<snip>
> activity is off-list. It's a big subject -- I help out with the group
> where I can but I'm very aware that it's not the same as in the early
> years. The spark is less obvious but people are still passionate about
> out little OS.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Erskine.

Here, here, Michael.

Tony:  if you (or anyone else) don't like it, then step right up and
change it.

I was asked by Martin (off the main list) to organise a few food socials,
and I have done that.  No one has said you have to attend them to be "part
of NLUG", nor are you being forced to read the group messages about them,
which are usually clearly marked SOCIAL and/or FOOD.

If you think there should be more technical discussions on list, start
some.  If you think there should be more spectacular presentations,
technical get-toegethers, LAN parties, fix-it nights, etc. ORGANISE SOME.
Martin has asked *repeatedly* for others suggestions on the list, so
please share with us your ideas for "something new" and your thoughts on
how to go about implementing them.

Cheers,

-Stef