[Nottingham] "Big Name" Distros Update

Alex Walker alex at x3ja.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 13:37:19 UTC 2009

2009/4/20 Simon Osborne <flibble at gmail.com>

> I quite fancy trying Kubuntu 9.04 out. KDE 4.2.2 looks really good.

I've been using Ubuntu for some years now on my home desktop, having tried:
- RedHat (when it was just called that, 5.2 I think)
- Debian (stable, testing, unstable & experimental - probably in that order
as my desire for bleeding edge increased)
- Gentoo (when I wanted to go beyond the bleeding edge)

I've not tried Mandriva or Fedora or any other flavour you wish to choose.

I used to be really obsessed with the little changes in each new release of
each application or DE or whatever. Now, having got married and started
spending a lot less time in front of a screen (at home at least), I don't
follow such things quite so closely. As for KDE 4.2.2 - I can't really tell
the difference between the version I used about 8 years ago and now, apart
from some stuff is rounded and a bit see-through.

However, I have to confess, I do still get a glimmer of excitement when a
new release of Ubuntu is coming up and probably install it, unwisely, within
a few hours of its release. Once or twice I've had to go back and reinstall
it because I went for it too soon...

And my wife... well, she still asks how she can load up Word on the
computer... even though it was a PowerPoint file she wanted to open. I think
she meant Windows... but I can't read her mind, no matter how much she
expects me to ;)

So here's to breaking stuff in the 8.10 -> 9.04 upgrade! :D

Alex