[Nottingham] Gentoo fun on an old VIA Epia C3

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 20:19:57 UTC 2009

Peter Woods wrote:
[---]
> My "solid state" machine goes better since I moved /tmp into RAM:
> here's a link:
> http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/09/04/four-tweaks-for-using-linux-with-solid-state-drives/
> (Need the Firefox fix too.)

Good tips there.

Good on the tmpfs, rather nice:

# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)

Once I get some expanded memory in there, I'd like to mount /var/log
onto a tmpfs and have the contents periodically copied out to the flash.
Something like:

mv /var/log /var/log_flash
mkdir /var/log
mount -t tmpfs swap /var/log

and then periodically and at shutdown rsync /var/log to /var/log_flash

BUT...

How to do that without mucking up already opened files in /var/log?

Or how to do that /before/ anything might want to put anything into
/var/log?...

Anyone?

martin at ml1.co.uk